"We Look the Same, We Talk the Same, We Are the Same.."


I noticed a funny thing yesterday while talking with Bud. Bud and I have adopted each others mannerisms and catch phrases. It's rather funny. I spend all day at work with Bud, we go out from time to time to hang, we usually see each other on the weekends and we talk almost every evening. It's only natural I suppose to pick things up...it's like we live in our own little world with our own manners, rules, regulations and language.


Bud is from a mining town in Pennsylvania. She has an odd way of talking at times. Coming from the southern part of Maryland the word: "Ya'll" is profuse here. I NEVER use this word. Actually, I take the more Italian way in speaking and say things like: "yous". Also, pizza is: "a slice" or "pie", sauce = "gravy", Mom = "Ma". I noticed Bud now saying these terms as well as if she is right at home with them.

Even non-Italian terms..I love animals and whenever I have a stuffy/runny nose I think of pups. Pups have wet noses, naturally. So I will say: "I have a pup nose".

Bud has started using this term as well.


My PA Bud has some weird terms as well: Woods are called "bush", "Bushing" is something I still don't quite understand still to this day, a "bush party", I have been invited to but really am unsure about it, "crick" is a creek, "dungarees or bibs" are a type of jean, and "Cat boots" are the cool shoe to wear. I'm not even kidding with you....

Bud has a rather odd mannerism when asking if I agree with something. The best way to explain this is to give you an example:


If I were saying: "Bud, it was busy at work today, don't you think?"

Bud would say this same phrase this way: "It was busy at work today ain't?


This wording would make me laugh but now I hear it so much I found that after driving home in a snow blizzard yesterday I asked my husband: "It's cold, ain't?"
Last week I almost asked someone who was trying a cupcake of mine: "It's good ain't?"

It just seemed natural and I am finding that I have to catch myself from saying this now.


Has this ever happened to you? Did anyone move to a different state and eventually adopt mannerisms and slang? Or, do any of you have a friend that you spend so much time with you just adopt language from each other?


Crazy, ain't?

*wink*





*title is from She Walks Over Me by Hole



5 comments:

phinner December 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

its like having a sistor, Sista!!! : .)

couldn't ask for anything bettah!

The Bumbles December 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Oh wow - I moved so many times growing up to so many different regions that I am all mixed up. I still say Crick instead of Creek - that comes from my brief time in NJ. But there are also the influence of other fine places such as OH, upstate NY, CT and the Carolinas. I am fully entrenched in Bostonian speak now. If you want to order a soda sometimes they refer to it here as a tonic. Don't bring a Bostonian tonic water when they ask for a tonic. Bring them a Coke. My roomie in college from Colorado called it a Pop. Relatives in the South say Co-co-ler (aka Coca-Cola). I love colloquialisms! It's cool ain't?

Pat Tillett December 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Just goes to show you what an amazing melting pot we live in, aint?

BeckEye December 19, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

Bud sounds like she's from Pennsyltucky! :)

Georgina Dollface December 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

I guess Funny Man would be the source of my odd turns of phrases. He's a Brit and I've picked up a few expressions from him (ie lounge=living room). Two weeks is a fortnight, so when say I work 9 days a fortnight, it takes people a few minutes to figure out what I am on about. - G

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™