Twenty Six Thousand Pages Later...



Book Review of 2010

This year I went on several amazing road trips (all involving Jim), got to see some amazing gigs, had a really disappointing birthday/only to be turned into the most amazing birthday, lost a friend (by choice), found out that a true friend is worth 8 of the one I lost, reconnected with someone who wasn't worth my time/energy spent making the connection, felt a little more comfortable being "Me" around everyone, had to watch a dear friend move to another state, found Michael Crichton, learned a lot of history, attended A LOT of weddings and wedding showers, had A LOT of laughs, made a lot of music, listened to a lot of music, made a lot of mixed tapes, had some really great conversations into the night with a lot of really great people and made my target goal of books read for the year.


My Target: 75

Final Tally: 78

Total number of pages read: 26,664


I'm a little overwhelmed I get to start all over with the count. 78 is such a large number, although when thinking about it more I realized that I didn't speed read, I didn't rush, I just read naturally and I naturally happened to devour 78 books. Some amazing, some complete shite. As I gear up for 2011, my queue/list of books "To-Read" is sitting with only four titles. I have a few wonders for 2011.

I wonder what, or who, I will discover this coming year, I wonder if my queue will grow swiftly, I wonder if I should actually try to read a romance novel, just to see, I wonder if I will ever read that damn Dan Brown novel that has been sitting atop my book shelf, and I wonder about all of the wonders of the good reads to come!


My list is hefty so I will not list all 78 books. [If anyone is interested in the actually list let me know and I can email it to you.]

I will, however, give you my list of the BEST books I adventured through in 2010.In random order:

-The Great Gatsby-F. Scott Fitzgerald- I know, I know, it's a classic...but please read this. It's amazing.

-Bloodroot-Amy Greene-Amazing first novel, amazing character development and amazing story filled with twists

-To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee- No need for introductions

-One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest-Ken Kearsy-I remember every second of reading this story. It stuck with me.

-Andromedia Strain-Michael Crichton-My first Crichton novel and the most intense. I heart MC.

-Jurassic Park-MC-The films were always on my top ten fav. movie lists and now the book will be added.

-Of Bees and Mist-Eric Setiawah-Another first novel. I didn't like this novel at first and then I couldn't put it down. One of the very best I read this year.

-Perfect Nightmare-John Saul-The most terrifying horror novel I read this year!

-Lord of the Rings Trilogy-Toilken-No need for introductions :)

-A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-Betty Smith- I will be revisiting this book again in the years to come. Everyone should read this. At least once.

-How To Be Good-Nick Hornby-The start of many other great books I read by Hornby. This one was my favorite

-A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess-Oh how I love thee my little brothers

-Manhunt-James Swanson-The best history book I have ever read. What an amazing researcher and storyteller.

-Gone With the Wind-Margaret Mitchell-Another book I will be revisiting time and time again.

-Full Dark, No Stars-Uncle Stevie-My all time favorite auther, back and more B.A. than ever!

-The End of the Affair-Graham Green-The peferct ending to my journey through books in 2010. Such a beautiful and heart breaking story.


If I had to pick just one to be the BEST book of all year: Gone With The Wind. It just can't be topped.


Out of my total book count only 16 made the absolutely noteworthy list above. There, of course, were other really, really great books, but these were the best! For the flip side of the coin: I don't have a long list of really bad books of 2010 but I do, nevertheless, have a list.

So for the WORST of 2010:

In random order

-Never Let Me Go-Kazuo Ishiguro

-Little Bee-Chris Cleave

-Little Stranger-Sarah Waters

-Cold Mountain-Charles Fraizer


Finally, to end this dreadfully long post I give you my very small queue for the year 2011:-Freakanomics

-Winters Bone

-Mr. Darcys Story

-Austen Land-Shannon Hale [because I can't get enough of Mr. Darcy]


Thank you all for reading if you lasted this long. Thank you for all of your comments this year, thank you for sharing my joys, pains and laughter at Penny Lane and thank you for extending your friendships along side of just bloggie buds. My constant readers are all amazing and have amazing talents to be celebrated and I look forward to sharing with you and reading new and exciting things from all of you in the new year!

3 comments:

Pat Tillett December 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Wow! You've been very busy! To work in that much reading is very dedicated. I've never kept track of how many books I read. My wife says it's too many. Good luck on next years goals!

Happy New Year!

Bridget January 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM  

Hooray, How to Be Good!!!

Bridget January 3, 2011 at 11:10 PM  

I just finished my list!

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™