Kicking It Old Skool

I need your thoughts on a matter.
I am the type of person that while out and about if I pass something that seems to be just right for a friend I will purchase it. Granted these items are always under five dollars. Most often it's from the Five Below shop or in a dollar bin.
I ask because I recently sent two little care boxes to a friend who moved out of state. She was having a hard time as of late and I sent her a few little items to cheer her up. I included some artwork (my ATC's) and some music and other cute little items I saw along my travels. She honestly, thought it odd.
To add more color to this picture, I am also a card fanatic. I am constantly stopping at Hallmark and constantly sending little greeting cards to friends to just say: Hey, I think you're amazing/brilliant/radical...pick one. I mean who wouldn't want to go to the mail box and find a greeting card with some positive remarks written in it from someone who cares? That would certainly make my day!

Okay, I realize and am fully aware that I am, in fact, ODD. In my defense, I didn't really think giving someone a small gift is odd.
To continue my defense: I do have a lot of friends that don't live in my area, thanks to the world wide web.
I don't have any children so I can't very well purchase them tiny little gifts.
I like to shop on the cheap.
I like giving things to people that are thoughtful.
Lastly, I believe in treating others as you want to be treated and frankly, I would like to know that people think of me when they see something and smile, or care enough to drop me line old skool-Snail mail.

So bloggie buds, am I missing something here? Am I really odd?

Okay, maybe don't answer that last bit....


6 comments:

Micael Chadwick ("Rabbit") August 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

I don't think it odd at all. I actually find it odd that she found it odd. People are strange. I do stuff like that all the time. I find more enjoyment in getting stuff for other people than I do myself and trying to gauge what their reaction will be because - trust me - I can come up with some ODD stuff...

The Bumbles August 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

I wouldn't say you are odd. You are just rare Penny. In the fact that you are so thoughtful that you follow through with those thoughts and express them the way you do. Sadly, most of us have the thoughts and then never get around to sending the cards, etc.

I love to receive cards and little tokens "just because" but rarely do I ever get around to sending them out to others. Which is lame on my part. But mostly because I am not creative enough to discover the perfect little something to send. But I do pick up the phone and call or send an e-mail or a silly e-card just to check in and say "hey."

I don't think it is odd to send good thoughts out to those you care about at all. Maybe no one has ever done that for your friend before and she just didn't know how to react? I hope she remembered to say Thank You.

Pat Tillett August 6, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

I agree with you! Also, I really like getting small gifts...wink wink

The Mrs. August 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

nope not weird at all. but then again if you were weird... id be weird.

so then again maybe i shouldnt be the one to ask.....

Georgina Dollface August 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

I think more people should be like you! I do the same thing with gifts and when we do Secret Santa at work, I always tell the staff we have to pick names early (like September - how's that for odd?) because I like to give the Universe time to put the perfect present right in front of my eyes. That's how it usually works for me - the ideal gift just appears serendipitously and it feels so right to buy it! - G

Bridget August 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

No way. I do that, too, when I can.

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™