Have I Told You Lately, That I Love.....The Library?


Well, I do ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I am ending my journey through Nick Hornby's works and will soon start [finally] Franny and Zooey. Throughout my reads I often come across a quote that I am keen on. I usually stick a post- it in the page for later recording or I will write it on a sticky and leave it on my desk to later be added to my quote journal. Sometimes, after transferring them into my quote journal, I will put the sticky back into the library book for later finding by a stranger who borrows the same book. My reasoning: Maybe a little something that touched me will touch someone else or make someone smile or just brighten a day.

I will admit, I always secretly hope that in my reading journeys I will find a random post it in my borrowed books. Yesterday I got my hope..well kind of...in another form.

I needed to read my final Nick Hornby novel: High Fidelity. I was also interested in reading Franny and Zooey and my library didn't have either of these titles. I had to order them inner-library and I received notification that yesterday they were both in and waiting for me to pick up. On my way back to my car, after picking up my books, I opened the cover of High Fidelity and peeking out of the inside plastic flap was a receipt of sorts. I recognized it immediately because when you do a self check out my library you get a handy receipt printed that includes your name, a list of what you checked out, the date and the date these items are due. Quite handy to keep you organized and also handy if you need a book mark in a pinch.

So peeking out behind the book jacket was a book receipt for a Mr. A [we will just code name him that] from March of 2008. On 26 of March, Mr. A, who visited a library in another town, checked out High Fidelity, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason and Burning Bright.

From this receipt I can deduce the following:
number one/a: Mr A. must like English authors and novels, as I do.
number two/b: I have read Hornby and Bridget Jones and loved them both, but have never read/heard of Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier. I am always looking for a new author or a good book and here was one printed for me in my book jacket.
number three/c: Burning Bright is probably an English novel as well since Mr. A appeared to be on a role.

This morning I researched Burning Bright and it is, indeed, an English novel. I read a lot of suggested novels and am always asking friends, my bloggie buds or entertainment we*kly for suggestions, so in a cosmic way Mr. A made my day by leaving me a suggestion! It's the little things right?

So bloggies, do you have any similar quirks? Ever leave a quote or a good word in a public place? If not I dare you to just try it once before the week is out. Who knows, maybe you will make someone smile or make someones day and that is well worth it!
So go on then, I dare you :)

4 comments:

phinner August 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

oooh, I forgot about Tracy Chevalier. I loved the The Lady and the Unicorn and the Girl with a Pearl Earring!!!
sooooo good!

hey, I love quotes too...
"anyone who eats madelines will surely be uplifted always." that gives me an idea...good book, tea, and madelines! LOL!!!

thanks for the inspiration, Pens!

: .)

The Bumbles August 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

Although I don't condone marking up a library book, I did enjoy one person's penciled underlines in Brave New World recently when I checked it out to read for a book group. This particular section had nothing but dialogue between 2 separate conversations that overlapped without typical distinction. So it could be hard to follow initially. This reader had made notations next to every speaking quote with the initial of who they presumed to be talking. It made me laugh because it was actually quite handy for me reading along!

The last book I checked out - Darkly Dreaming Dexter - had a notation in the front flap that the reader made to themselves to watch the series on Showtime. And then they also noted that they were out of milk. That made me laugh too.

I have "released" a book via Bookcrossing once. Though as of yet no one has ever logged in their time with it. Have you heard of Bookcrossing? Visit their website - I think you'd really enjoy their approach.

B August 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

I have read The Girl With The Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier and I really enjoyed it. I meant to get around to reading her other books but haven't gotten to them yet.

Bridget August 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

I've never done that but it's a great idea. I actually collect quotes. Less now than I used to, but I can't help writing down something if I hear it and love it.

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™