My Excuse is Valid...

I've been M.I.A for a week. Anyone notice?

It has been a hard week and a half at PennyLane.

Last Friday, if you remember I had requested the day off to do a thousand and one errands that I needed to run and to start on massive cake orders due. Well Friday morning I woke, ready to get to work and my cat of ten years, Johnny, was ill. He was laid out, moaning with mild shaking. Like he had a tummy ache. I gave him some milk of magnesia and he seemed better about an hour later.

Well by evening he started to kind of not really want to eat anything. I had this problem a year ago wtih him. He had a cold and stopped eating. Well, Johnny is a big boy. He has a thyroid issue and is over weight. When an over weight cat stops eating it causes a little thing called Hyperlipidosis. This causes liver failure. He was hospitalized for three days last year and we didn't know if he would make it.

Well my mind was going in a million different directions last weekend. Was his tummy just upset, was I being overly paranoid (because normally, I am) so I monitored his food intake. It had decreased by not drastically. By Sunday morning it seemed to get worse. We rushed him to an emergency room vet. He was there all day. By all day, I mean I got a call to update his status at 8:00 pm and we dropped him off at 9 a.m.

The vet basically said that his ALT (liver function test) was elevated and he had high blood sugars. They wanted to start him on fluids immediately and have him transported to his normal doc since they were not equipped for long term stays. The cost of this? Roughly $1,600.


He was still eating and we couldn't afford $1,600 PLUS the additional cost of whatever would happen at our normal vet the following day. I made the decision to go and get him. I kept him close all evening, thankfully he ate and drank a bit when we got him home, and the following morning I took him into the vet immediately.


He had to stay another three days to get fluids. He could have come home on day two because he was doing so well, the only problem..the insanely expensive lab test run at the E.R. Vet for his ALT did not give a numeric value. It only stated it was Abnormal. My normal vet had nothing to compare it to so they had to keep him for the additional day. Thanks E.R.

Anthony jr


All in all, Johnny is home. He is doing very well aside from causing me to premature grey. He has developed diabetes and I have to give him insulin twice a day now. Also every ten days he gets a glucose monitor check. I am very thankful for those geniune and true folks who kept in contact with me and kept me slightly sane during this. (Russ, j, Phin Phin, MollyBumbles, parents).





I was very SHOCKED that during work when I was asked to explain what was going on I got a lot of looks and "Why would you spend so much money on an animal?" questions. Or the "It's just a cat" argument. I was really quite baffled.

I find that many folks don't understand the bond between some people and their animals. I LOVE every animal. (Even snakes). I especially love my boys. My Johnny and my Anthony. They are a part of my family. I took care of them as babies and they have been with me ever since. They make me SO very happy and I don't know what I would do without them. To just brush Johnny aside and give up was NOT an option. I would have to do everything in my power to get him well and bring him home.


6 comments:

The Bumbles May 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

Oh sweet Penny - I'm sorry that Johnny has to go through all of that. That is quite a committment - a natural one for any pet owner to make. Animals are part of the family. I don't know why people don't get that sometimes. Maybe they've never raised a pet of their own. In which case, I feel sad they've missed out on that unconditional love connection.


We debated taking little Lucy to the ER clinic ourselves this weekend. Of course she waited until half hour after the vet closed to have issues. We monitored her closely and by morning she was fine. Our vet is very good about giving us the info. we need to learn and care for her and her brother's heart conditions. Their lives on this Earth may end up being shorter than most, but I know that they will be happy little lives. And I'm thankful we have the ability to cover the expense thus far.

Maybe that's why you and we are paired with the sick kitties. Fate knows that we'll be able to care for them - that we "get it." Give Johnny a smooch for me. And Anthony too - wouldn't want him to feel left out ;0)

BeckEye May 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

Awww, poor kitty.

Don't listen to those heartless non-animal people. They don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Pat Tillett May 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM  

Both you and I were given awards at Micael Chadwicks blog. I came here to check you out. So far I've only read this post and I love you already. I'm going to follow along if you don't mind.

We recently went through a long medical ordeal with one of our cats. We lost the battle, but damn it, we fought it, and so did he. If you have the time, here's a link to that post.

http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2010/02/rest-in-peace-batty-boy.html

thanks!

Penny May 11, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

Thank you Molly :) I knew you would def. understand. I hope Lucy is feeling better. Your babies are so darling! I passed the smooches on and you do the same for me with Lucy and her brudder :) <3

Thank you Pat. Welcome. I tend to write a lot more about music and art so I hope I won't disappoint. :) Thank you for the kind words and well wishes

The Mrs. May 11, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

oh im so sorry! I cant imagine how stressed out and worried you were. I'm hoping that he's back to eating you out of house and home asap.

B May 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

It's ridiculous that people say things without considering your feelings first. I would spend my last dime on Dougal.

Have you considered pet insurance? We have 2 different types on Dougal, preventative and then one to cover emergencies. I don't know what they would cover as this may be considered a pre-existing condition at this point but you could get it for your other kitty for the future.

We use this: http://www.petinsurance.com/

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™