Books and Music!

Let's talk about books and music:
play Music Memoirs HERE! or in my comments section :)



1. What is your favorite rock bio or autobiography? I actually don't read a lot of biographies. I guess I'm not normally interested in the artists much, more a "music" fan. The only autobio I can remember reading and being quite interested in it was Marilyn Manson's book: A Long Hard Road Out of Hell. Read this back in high school and it was super interesting. I mean just take a look at the man, how could he not be interesting??


2. What musician do you wish would write their life story? I'd like to hear more about Jim Adkins. Since I'm a superfan. Influences, stories behind the music, that sort of thing. Also, Eddie Vedder. That would be a very interesting bio. He's such a smart man.




3. If you could write a biography of an artist living or dead, who would it be and why? To be completely biased: Jim. He is my favourite subject :)


OR


Patsy Cline. She's amazing.

5 comments:

BeckEye March 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

1. What is your favorite rock bio or autobiography? I haven't read that many. I'm actually in the middle of Damon Albarn's right now and it's pretty interesting. But then everything about him is interesting. (And today's his birthday!)

2. What musician do you wish would write their life story? Eddie Vedder, I suppose. Or maybe John Hiatt, if he hasn't already.

3. If you could write a biography of an artist living or dead, who would it be and why? For the obvious "because researching it would be so delicious" reasons, either Eddie or Damon.

Others...Glenn Tilbrook, Etta James, Weird Al, Lady Gaga. All fun for different reasons.

phinner March 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

why am I not surprised that we both read Marilyn Manson's autobiography (what a turd). I also read Boy George's Take it Like a Man.

ditto on the Eddie, but you knew that, huh?!

: .)

Penny March 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

phin-You and Beckeye ^ both LOVE Eddie ;)

Beck-Love the researching would be delicious :)

Lindsey March 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

Loved your choices with Eddie and Patsy Cline! Nice blog too :)

The Bumbles March 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Hmmm - Andy used to read only music bios. Now he's branching out. But I just bought him Man of Constant Sorrow - Ralph Stanley, the bluegrass guy from O Brother Where Art Thou? I saw him and his group perform on Letterman and bought the book. It seems like he'd have a lot of cool stories to tell. My least fave auto-bio. was Aretha Franklin's. She should stick to singing because her writing sucked and her personality/life choices weren't all that admirable. Disappointing.

I think it would have been awesome for Stevie Ray Vaughan to have lived long enough to write his story.

Man. I have no idea for #3. How do I choose? Do I go classical composer to learn about life from a completely different century? Or hang with a classic rocker to get a sense of the counter culture? Go with the great blues artists who inspired so many? Or stuff from my generation to see how things are being forged for the future? I'd have to spend a week at the Rock & Roll HOF to research and then get back to you.

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™