"Radical Digs!"

I am super excited as of late because I have to new finds to share that have become fast favourites!

Number one/a: American Pickers. This show comes on the History Channel and it is incredible!! It follows Mike Wolfe-who owns Antique Archaeology and his work partner Frank on the road. These guys go from town to town finding old houses and JUNK. They dig throw mud, dirty, sheds, barns, attics, they have crawled under stairs and stages, they get filthy, dirty all in the name of finding the ultimate antique or collectable. The cool thing that sets this show apart from the others is the amazing people Mike and Frank meet along the way. They all have a story and history and amazing personalities that really connect the viewer. I can't get enough of the show and I look forward to it each week. Plus, I think Mike Wolfe is seriously like the raddest dude around. Plus he drives an old skool VW bus. Super rad. So if you like antiques and history, check this show out!
















Number two/b: Michael Crichton. Apparently I'm late to the party, but then again, I'm always late. For everything. A few weeks ago we discusssed a book list that hubs had given me from his school. On this list I highlighted some items that seemed of interest and I went to the library to do get a few. One of these was Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. I have never had an interest for sci-fi books. I saw this book and I decided to just give it chance. Go in with an open mind, try something new and different. I was running out of really good book ideas anyway, it was FREE because it came from the library and no pressure. If I hated it, at least I tried and just return it without second thought. Well that night I borrowed three books from the library, Andromeda being one. I saved it for last. I read it in one day. It was the most interesting of all of the three books I borrowed. It was intense, fast paced, super inthralling. I didn't want to put it down and I basically didn't. I was sad to see it come to an end.

The best part of this story is that Michael Crichton has a ton of books I have not read! I went to the libray this Tuesday and picked up three more-Disclosure, State of Fear and A Case of Need.


I really wanted to read Jurassic Park. This was a favourite of mine growing up. I still like dinosaurs, even in my twenties. They are so rad. Unfortunately my library didn't carry JP. I put an inner library loan request out and I got a call yesterday on my way home that it had come in. I immediately stopped by and picked it up, have already started it and am currently on page 105. I didn't want to stop reading last evening..but I had to sleep so I could function today :)


So those are my new finds and favs! Anyone else have a recent new find or fav?



3 comments:

phinner February 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

Girl, we need to talk! at least email each other!!! : .)

I love MC too! my auntie just gave me a book of his from a manuscript that they found after he passed away! You won't want to put Disclosure down either!!! I think I'll have to go back and read all of his books again based on your enthusiasm!

I love Barbara Kingsolver. I think that Prodigal Summer would pique your interest if you haven't read it. Also, Poisonwood Bible (altho' that took me 3 tries to get thru!) I'm reading a book called Grotesque by a Japanese author who's 1st name is Natsuo. (can't remember the last!) an insight into Japanese culture and class systems...very engrossing! explains a lot about my Mom! heh!

I also LOVE, loVE LOve Chuck Palahniuk. oh my. his older stuff, like Survivor. the newer stuff is just plain weird.

habe a gud day Girlie!

xo!

Penny February 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

yes! We need to!!
I will look into your suggestions. They sound interesting!
I love Chuck Palahniuk as well. My fav. from him is Choke!
I'll let you know when I hit Disclosure. I am going to read it after Jurassic Park :)

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit February 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

That show looks pretty cool.

And I really should read some of Mr Crichton's books, shouldn't I?

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™