Reviews From My Family Room..

I feel like I have seen some really great movies the past few weeks and I have been thinking about how I wanted to share my reviews with my bloggy friends. Most of you love cinema as I do. It's a little overdue but here they are:

The Road- Hubs and I had to travel out of town to catch this one. I live in the southern part of Maryland, about 50 minutes due south of the District. This basically means it's more corn fields and Amish farms rather than a metropolitan area. So in a rural area as this one it's hard to have an opportunity to see more Oscar nom'ed films. We have a cinema with 6 rooms and 3 of them will be playing G Force or Tyler Perry's Another Pointless Film. Not that these are necessarily bad..just not my cup of tea. Sorry, I digress, so out of town travel to see the Road. Two years ago I read this book by Cormac McCarthy. It was VERY disturbing, frightening and I couldn't wrap my mind around the behavior of normal decent people in this book. The movie was slated to release two Christmas's ago but got pushed back for one reason or another. It was a long time coming so I was glad to see it. Hubs had not read the book (even though I pester him to read more). Coming from both, a reader and a non-reader the verdict was: Excellent.

It is dark and disturbing and thought provoking..but anyone reading the book would know that going in. The acting by VM was intense, but I wasn't surprised there and the visual imagery and cinematography breath taking. I find that books are generally better than the film but in this case-it was CLOSE. Super close. If you are a fan of Cormac McCarthy see this film. Or if you just want something thought provoking on cinema night..watch this.

Inglorious Basterds- I seen this in cinema but it was released to dvd before Christmas. Of course we purchased it. I am not a fan of Quentin Tarantino. (yup..I don't get Pulp Fiction..get over it). Going into this film I didn't really know what to expect. I thought it may be hard core violence and just plain ridiculous. Surprisingly, I love, love, loved this film. It was so wonderfully written and the acting was just on key. If you have not seen this yet, know this: 85% of this film is subtitled. I found that I didn't really even notice because I was so engrossed in the tangled web that Quentin weaved throughout and I was on the edge of my seat to see what happened next. Not a huge fan of Brad Pitt but he really made this film. I expected to see more of him and the Basterds as a group but actually the movie should be titled Soshanna is Bad Ass. ha ha. If you don't get it, you will.

Also, FYI, Eli Roth plays the Bear Jew. He is the writer/director of Hostel and actually quite handsome. Pretty cool to see him take on acting and I thought he did a fine job :)

500 Days of Summer-I am not a fan of chick flicks. The romantic comedy types. They all follow the same prototype and I'm just not into them. If there is a newish type spin on them or an actor I enjoy I may actually rent one but usually I just let them go unseen. This is the case for 500. Firstly, I love, love, love Zooey Deschanel and I heart Joseph Gorden Levit so right away I was interested in this film. I began reading tons of reviews on the film and it was described as not your typical love story and at times it was described as not really a love story.

After renting this film I fell in love. I love the story and the reviews were right..it's not typical. It's an honest film..not sugary sweet and very real (Aside from the random dance sequence from JGL but I feel like that all the time. If the world had more numbered dance sequences I would never complain again) and it is presented in such a rad way with the numbering of days and piecing the story together. I loved the film so much I wanted to run out and buy it that day but as it was just before Xmas I threw it on a list. Santa did deliver eventually :) The verdict: Watch this. It is probably not what you think it will be and you just may love it!

District 9- I feel like I have started every item in this list with: "I'm not really into ____", but this just shows all of you bloggy buds that I keep an open mind :) With this said: I am not really into Sci-Fi (Asides from Star Wars!!) but District 9 looked interesting. Saw the trailer for it and was intrigued. It's basically about an UFO that kind of gets "stuck". The government extracts all of the aliens and puts them in a ghetto of sorts and then starts monitoring them. They are inferiors and the government just does whatever they want with them. It's pretty hateful and puts in mind questions of "what if"...and would humanity really act in this manner if faced with that situation? Makes you think. All in all, great film and worth the watch. Glad I gave it a shot.

Paranormal Activity-Recently watched this again. Saw it the first time at cinema. I loved this. A lot of folks complained it was slow starting but with this film it's more about the experience. You gotta set the stage for any good play just hold on and you will get there. This movie is all about the experience.. a dark room, loud sound and just dive right in. I was creeped out the first few weeks after watching this film. After the first viewing I told Hubs:..No big deal. Then we got home..and I had to sleep. With the lights off....wowza.

A little over a year ago I was in a Paranormal group as an investigator. I have always held an interest in the paranormal but groups and investigating did not get really popular or taken seriously until Ghost Hunters was aired. It was an amazing experience. I would love to get back to it but time restricts me. This movie is just like going along for the ride. If you rent this one do the aforementioned: Lights out, sound up and hold on to your hat. Great stuff.

Really looking forward to The Hurt Locker, Up in The Air and It Might Get Loud. Thanks for reading if you made it this far :)


post signature

4 comments:

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit January 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

I've been meaning to see Ingluououriouous Barsterds (or however it's spelled!) for ages now. Not sure why I didn't see it in the cinema.

Is most of the subtitling stuff that's spoken in German.

Glad to see Mr Tarantino doing a film that's been well received again. He seemed to go a bit off the boil after Pulp Fiction.

The Bumbles January 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

I didn't read your reviews because I haven't seen any of those yet and I want to and wasn't sure if you've got spoilers in them.

I did read the part about you having to drive all over creation for a theater playing quality flicks. Is this because you need to see them on the big screen or because you have a fear of Netflix?

Penny January 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Richard-Yes the majority is in German and some French. It was great!

A and M- No spoilers included :) I try not to do that..just my overall general take.
I like the big screen if I am super excited to see it. I am subscribed to Blockbuster rather than netflix but sometimes I gotta see it on the big screen :)

BeckEye January 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM  

I just saw (500) Days of Summer and it's fantastic. I believe Zooey has replaced CZJ as my #1 Lesbian Crush.

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™