PEEVED

I'm pretty peeved this morning. I need to rant:

We had about 1-2 inches of snow fall early, early this morning here in Maryland. The roads looked a bit crappy but manageable. My hubs is a high school maths teacher (in case you are new or don't know). His school was delayed two hours due to the weather. The two surrounding counties in my area (Southern md has a TRI-County area, one of which I reside..we are like a packaged deal..)closed schools.

This made me wonder: How are the roads in the town I work in if the schools are shut down there?, The roads are probably worse than my county roads that I live on if they shut school down...Oh well, here I go.

So I left home to drive in to work. In route I was flicking through stations and on a talk radio, local station and the DJ's were discussing the business of shutting school downs for nothing. For government offices and Naval stations in our towns closing or using liberal leave over 2 inches of snow and how the DJs pay taxes and it was pointless and they had no right to take the day off and it should be stopped.

My thoughts on this matter: Who gives a flying?? My job NEVER shuts down. EVER. There could be a hurricane in our lobby and management would have us move our work spaces to work around it. So I don't get liberal leave or code red or blue or yellow or purple or whatever. I use common sense. I have almost been in a few accidents in the snow. It makes me nervous to drive in and if I am not comfortable doing so and I have the leave and/or time to call out, know what? I'm gonna call out. Frankly, NO JOB..is worth getting in an accident for. I have explained this before, Maryland doesn't get a lot of snow. This isn't a state where people live in four feet of ice so when we get a dusting people freak out. They can't drive properly, they don't plow correctly and it's MADNESS. So if people don't feel comfortable or don't want to drive or things shut down...by all means.

Anywho...I digress: The thing that really got my goat was this radio station started harping on teachers. The opinion of the married couple DJ duo was that teachers were lazy and they had no business closing school anyway and if they had to close for students teachers should still go in because they always hear of teachers complaining they have no time during the school day to grade or plan so they could use that full day to do it. They were snarky about it. I found it quite hateful. First of all: I try to practice this method of thinking: I don't know anyones situation because I am not them. I don't live their life. I don't work at a Naval station or the Circuit court of La Plata Maryland so I really don't have an opinion when they shut it down due to weather..or if Mr. Jim Smith decides he can't drive out of his neighborhood to get to his job, good on him. I don't know Jim Smith's neighborhood. I don't live there. He can use his own judgement and he has a RIGHT too. And again, who gives a flying?? Second of all: As a wife of a teacher...I was appalled at this train of thought regarding teachers. My husband teaches maths, he also coaches two sports. He gets paid very little to coach compared to the amount of time and money WE fork over. He is out every night late, gone almost every weekend and when he gets home he still has to grade and create worksheets/tests/quizzes/plan for the following day.

Aside from the coaching, like right now, it's off season for tennis and soccer, but this doesn't mean he if off. School still expects teachers to offer their planning and lunch periods to tutoring and extra help. All of which he does. He has no planning period due to SAT prep tutoring and his lunch is devoted to tutoring students on different maths that he doesn't even teach. Everyday after school he is late because someone needs to make up a test or a quiz or needs help. He arrives home and he does about an hour to an hour and half worth of work on the computer. Not to mention Maths department meetings, county planning meetings for curriculum, extra curricular that they strongly expect you to volunteer your time too, SAT meetings and whatever else is thrown at you. It is a job you take with you after you get off. Even on weekends and holidays.

I think any day, summer vacation, winter vacation, spring vacation is well deserved for any teacher. They babysit your kids, teach your kids and try to make a difference, plus they get to deal with you when your kid doesn't pay attention, disrupts, acts out, doesn't do the homework and after contacting you, fails and then you call and want to know WHY and HOW??

It's just sad to hear folks speak in this manner when I see the amount of work going into Hubs and a lot of his colleagues jobs. I came into work and a younger co-worker was bitching about how schools were closed. Seriously?? You are un-married and CHILDLESS...why do you care??

I think people like to bitch just to bitch. Hell, isn't this whole post a bitch? Thanks for listening bloggies. RANT FIN..

post signature

7 comments:

Bridget January 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

I don't know how it works in MD, but I doubt it's much different from here: the teachers aren't the ones who decide when school is closed, it's the superintendent of the district/the bus company. Blaming teachers for having a snow day is like blaming students for having one. That is so ridiculous.

KaLynn January 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

That was so wrong of those DJ's. Teachers are right up there with saints in my book. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. If my kids got in trouble at school they got DOUBLE TROUBLE at home. If they got licks at school they got double at home. Teachers have one of the most underpaid jobs in my opinion. (Right in there with policemen.) You have a friend here!

The Mrs. January 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

Maryland cracks me up with snow. I talked to ma today and you would have thought that she was braving the icy tundra.

Penny January 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

Bridget-In MD it's the same. The county decides on closures and I they look at road conditions and back roads and decide about bus drivers as well as students are driving to school.
Thanks for listening :) I had to rant that one out :)

KaLynn-Thanks for the support! Just visited your blog-Love, love, love it!

Lea-Ma cracks me up!

BeckEye January 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

You should unleash your fury on those DJs. Write 'em a letter!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit January 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

Teachers are always looked down on. They're underpaid, overworked and underrespected. And yet they're doing a vital job which shapes every aspect of society, from culture to the economy.

I'm less sure about the import of DJs to society...

The Bumbles January 10, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

Those DJ's are probably just trying to be inflamatory to get the ratings. Ignore them. You are correct. Teachers - like EMT's, nurses, cops and firemen - are underpaid, overworked and invaluable to our communities. People don't enter the path to teaching in order to make money - they do so because they hope to make a difference.

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™