Bargain Hunters!


My husband is always thinking of the latest and greatest way to make a buck. Have we ever actually made a buck from these zany ideas?? I plead the fifth...but that is neither here nor there.

He's latest thing is tivo-ing hours and hours of Pawn Stars on Discovery Channel and Antiques Road Show on MPT and Bargain Hunters on BBC. I love watching these shows. To hear the stories of peoples family and histories and how they came to find/own items. Some of them just picked up an old piece of junk at a yard sale for two bucks and whaddaya know?? It's worth two grand!!

Well..herein lies the issue. Hubs sees gold in this. He is hellbent and determined that we, along with a group of regular friends that hang out, are going to start going to yard sales, thrift stores, antique shops, Amish market, Bargain Barns...he's all about it. This is slightly amusing to me because when we first moved into our home about four years ago I wanted to find some abstract pieces of art to go into our living room without paying an arm and a torso. My bud Rusty suggested that we go to yard sales and such to find stuff. I am not good at bargaining but he is an old pro so I tagged along and he did all the talking. I ended up not finding anything abstract on the day we went but I did get a HUGE Tupperware full of wooden crafts and craft supplies from a church sale for like 75 cents. When I informed Hubs of my abstract art adventure he snubbed up his nose...He wanted nothing to do with rummaging through other peoples junk.

Doth my ears deceive me?? Have the tables thus turned??

So who knows...I could be a little richer come spring. If not, I think just going to all of these events and having the adventure of road tripping, hanging out and having fun would be worth more than any treasure to me <3

So here's to Junk!

post signature

3 comments:

briarrose86304 January 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

I wish my hubby would come around to yardsales- I can barely get him in a thrift store lol. I have to take Roslyn with me, she calls them my treasure stores.

Have fun!

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit January 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

Good luck! I reckon the key is to find the "right" stuff at below market price and then stuff it on eBay. Of course, figuring out what the "right" stuff is could be hard.

You could earn a fortune, for instance, if you find some real antique straight razors. Those are going for silly money right now.

Penny January 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

Richard...good to know :)
I will do some research on these :)

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™