"Can't Read My Pokerface.."


Okay, as I type this: Deck the Halls by Mannheim Steamroller is playing. What an annoying version of this song. Gah... I need to block that out.

Sorry I digress...tomorrow is my work holiday, in-house party. I am not a regular in this event. Over the past few years my participation has been off and on. At work we do that game where you put all the gifts in the center and everyone gets a number. Number one picks a gift and unwraps it. Number two can either take Number one's gift or unwrap their own...etc. I think this is called "Dirty Christmas". Boy is it dirty.

I had no intentions of playing this year. I have already purchased seven of my employees their own individual gifts. So I think I'm a little tapped out. I told the head of the party planning committee this and you would have thought I just announced that I murdered St. Nick himself.
She pouted about and kept complaining audibly near me that they needed one more person or Christmas would ruined. (okay...so maybe it wasn't that dramatic but if I were going to do this I would totally go there). I explained my reasoning..it's nothing personal...but on and on she went.
So I felt like an A--hole.
I am now participating.
I need to work on being more firm..

To clarify, I went to find the same pouty lady that guilted me and asked what the cap was on price. She told me 10-15 dollars. Then proceeded to pull out a list of employees and explained that we were ALSO having a work buffet and I needed to bring a dish.
Ummm...wow. Okay...
Just so you know, I don't cook. Anything.
I can bake ziti and make-a-da pasta but thats it.
I also bake cakes..as if you didn't know.

Three folks had signed up for desserts. I was at a loss. I explained this to Pouty Mcpout and offered to bring in soda. We need drinks right??? Who doesn't??
She suggested that I bake a BIG cake for all of the December birthdays instead.
WELL PLAYED Pouty Mcpout...Well played...

So this evening I will be baking a cake and hoping I don't get stuck with USED lotion like I did last year from my Dirty Christmas partner. I hope just get my own gift..it's two really cute ornaments and a gift card to Chick-Fil-A. Yummmm.


5 comments:

BeckEye December 15, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

I went off on a tangent on Candy's blog the other day about the last work Secret Santa/Chinese auction thingy I was involved in, which made me swear them off forever. I'm not going to repeat the whole thing, but let's just say that work gift exchanges can suck it. :)

Penny December 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

Did you get a really shitty gift??
I ALWAYS stick to the cap and folks here bring used crap and shit that looks like it sat in their attic for about 10 years.
It's annoying. It's one major reason I didn't want to do it this year.

They have someone walking around now asking if people will now give money to contribute to a meat tray to eat. So you want a gift, a cake AND money????

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit December 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Ewww, *used* lotion?

Ewww!!!!

BTW, your gift is exactly what the doctor ordered. I'd be dead pleased if I got that!

I hate, hate, hate being press ganged into participating in stuff like this. It's even worse if all you get out of it is *used* lotion!

Ewwwwww!!!!

Bridget December 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

RIDICULOUS. WHAT a whore.

Penny December 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

ha ha..Thank you Richard :)
Chick Fil-A is amazingly delish..

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™