"I Wanna Talk Tonight.."


I'm a shuffle kind of gal. I have way too many choices and I am too much of a Libra to actively select my music on a daily basis. I do have playlists but I tire of them easily and do not upkeep with them as much as I ought.

So, listening to my ipod, on shuffle, and a song came on that immediately transported me to another time and place..inducing a sadness that have long since past.


Music is huge part of my life, not just in the listening part, but writing, playing, I was born and raised (thanks ma) with the radio on 24/7 and some form of music remains in life 24/7. It is amazing to me how the power of music can invoke memories, feelings, emotions, sights, smells, etc. I am a psych major/graduate. I get negative/positive association, but when it happens with music, it's always stronger with me, anyway.

So I'm curious (like a cat), Do any of you have music associations? A song that just takes you to another place and time, to where if you close your eyes it could almost be real?

A few of mine...
Syndicate-The Fray-The return back to work after Philly trip. I was first introduced to this song on this day, lyrically. This song rips my heart apart every time I hear it.

Fly-Lenny Kravitz- I am not a fan of LK, at all. This song was huge during the summer of early college. A time when my best friend and I would take rando drives to nowhere. When I hear this I am back in my Ford Temp, with no A/C, on a hot summer day, going to Twin Kiss for a milkshake after Crim. Justice class. The scenic route. ha ha.

Hang-Matchbox Twenty-Driving to the hospital before my grandpa died. Tough to hear this one still...years later.

At The Stars-Better Than Ezra-Storage, band practice, hanging out, hoodie jackets, playing JA, sunlight in my eyes, cold hands, smoking cigarettes with J on the stoop-(jobro)

A Sunday-Jimmy Eat World-Driving to my new home after my first visit to my Ma's house, since moving. It was the first time I realized: I don't live here anymore. My home, is not my home anymore. It was a horrid. A loss in a way. Jim is my comfort voice so I listened to the Clarity album on the hour drive through scenic St. Mary's.

*title-lyrics by oasis

4 comments:

The Mrs. August 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Ah the ford tempo. Your right, Fly takes me right back there too. Even makes me think about that a hole professor.

And matchbox 20 Bright Lights reminds me of you as well.

catlady 7 August 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

Hey Darlin This will always be your home no matter where you are and we still miss you being home. we love you. love ma ,dad ,brudder

BeckEye August 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment! You love me? Oh oh, the pressure's on! I'll try not to turn your beautiful love into something ugly.

Ah, but I see you like Better Than Ezra. I think we will get along famously.

Their song "Rewind" is my favorite, and I actually associate it with my love of music, which sounds weird I guess, but that's how I think of it. It's such a perfect song that illustrates exactly what you're talking about - how certain songs are inextricably linked with certain events, forming the soundtrack to your life.

I have problems with Toad the Wet Sprocket, a band I always liked but now always associate with my first love. I can still listen to them, but always feel a little tummyache when I do. Especially "Crowing."

"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia always reminds me of drunkenly singing with my girls on the porch of our house in college. Always reminds me of college. That's why I'll always love that song.

There are probably a million more associations but I won't write a book.

Oh, I see you like Oasis. I've recently become fully obsessed with Blur, a band I've only casually known over the years (but I always had a huge crush on Damon) and always meant to look into more, but kept putting it off. I finally stopped procrastinating and I can't stop listening to them. If I were voting in the Battle of Britpop, they would've gotten my vote, hands down.

Penny August 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

I love Toad the Wet Sprocket :) What a great band. I know what you mean about the first love association as well! *sigh*

And yes, I do love you! You're amazing!

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™