First Fondant Blue Print

For anyone interested, I started a second blog with just cake stuff on it. I wanted an area that I could put more pictures up and have them all in consecutive order. It's a lot easier to browse through than looking at my blog. Also, to be honest a lot of people don't have my blog url so sometimes I don't want to give this one out. If interested in cakes check it out here!


I have just started Gum Paste and Fondant course. For lesson two we are to bring a dirty iced cake in. We will learn covering it with fondant, draping, and using the punch to put designs on fondant. The techniques I am eager to learn but I don't like them much for my own cake. I know it's a practice cake but with the amount of time energy and money put into these fondant cakes I don't want to drape it with something I don't like.


I can't just do a craft or a cake for the hell of it. Or just make a mosh posh of items on a cake to practice. I fully intend to practice these techniques in class but I don't want to keep them apart of my project cake. I will participate but then politely ball them up and return them to fondant heaven. I think that is reasonable. I blue printed a few ideas for the cake I would like to do.























All in all, after reading the book I am a little disappointed in what we will learn. There is no gum paste rose on the menu. There is this bizarre-o flower called a Fantasy Flower that looks horrid that we will learn. We also don't really even touch base with gum paste figures. I know this is just your basic sculpture techniques (glad I had three years of this in High School) but still...I thought it would be more than fondant hankies, draping and odd flowers.


So I guess this time around I will be pissing off the instructor by doing my own thing again.

2 comments:

B August 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

I felt the same way. I like the draping, but as you saw on my first fondant covered cake, no handkerchief, no punch outs. I put them on during class but didn't adhere them. I took them off after that portion and made the cake look nice.

The fantasy flower is heavy and ugly. I don't know of anyone that has actually used it. I made one, then threw it out immediately. I love the daisies though, adorable. The gumpaste rose is in course 3 and one of my favorite things to make.

Penny August 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

I can't wait to learn the daisies. Those are really cute! I can not, for the life of me, make a royal icing daisy. My icing was no good the day we learned it so that lesson was lost on me :(

I love the roses you did. They were so beautiful. I can't wait to learn those.

I am going to try to make my own fondant this weekend with the marshmallow recipe. I finally tasted the fondant-store bought. It was very odd and had a weird after taste.

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™