I'm In Love...

Cake Class Session One was last night. As promised, Amber and I got some grub at the Chick Fil-A and then headed over to class. I felt like we learned so much stuff in two short hours that my brain was going to pop! Thankfully I took notes and we were given a workbook. We went over the three types of icing: it's uses and preparation, colouring icing, how to level/tort a cake, proper baking methods, how to create a dam and add filling to a cake, proper icing procedures to insure no crumbs and a clean canvas for decor,trimming and smoothing icing, parchment paper bags, proper handling and angles of decor bags and homework and supplies for next week.


If this sounds like a lot..it's because it is! Next week Amber and I are to come to class with a baked cake already iced a light blue. Plus a batch of icing to practice the Rose with and to decorate our light blue cakes. We are doing a rainbow cake. They had a sample picture of this cake in the book and when the instructor announced this I looked over to see Amber convulsing with excitement in her chair. It was pretty hilarious. We are both like kids in a candy shop going to this.

After class we went on a shopping spree for all kinds of supplies and goodies. I had an excellent excuse to purchase some tools for baking that I have always wanted but never really had a valid excuse to buy. Like a leveler and a cake wheel. I also picked up some the Wilton's Cake Release that was recommended by my cake buddy.

All in all we were both pretty excited and can't wait to get started practicing and playing with the piping and designs. The only downside to any of this: In two weeks I am to make a CLOWN cake. Wowzas folks. The instructor said if it creeped me out too much I could make a headless clown cake. I explained that this would be far more creepy than a regular clown cake.

I will have to suck this up. The things we do for art.

ps. Amber and I were just discussing class and preparations for next week. I informed her that we get a certificate of completion at course end. She was so excited she had to take a moment. ha ha..This is why I love her. <3

11 comments:

The Mrs. June 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

I have the worst time spreading the frosting so that it doesnt get all crummy. I've tried putting it in the fridge but yet still, the crumbs appear.

and I'm so jealous about the chick fil a. If only they did an interstate delivery thing.

PennyLane June 9, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

I'll have to try to explain the method. It makes complete sense when she did it last night! Now, trying it out may be a different story. I have to frost a cake this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

B June 10, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

Yay! Yay! Yay! The cake release is wonderful stuff!

I did not do a clown cake. We learned it but she told us to use whatever we had learned that week to make a cake we liked. Everyone in my class was creeped out by clowns. I did find alternatives to the clown heads, though!

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=4329

I can see if I have some extras if you'd like them!

PennyLane June 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Which heads did you use B? I will have to use an alternative. I want to go buy a caddy for my supplies this weekend! I really excited to get in and start practicing!

B June 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

I used leprechaun heads for the practice we did in class but I didn't decorate the cake with them.

I did this cake for class 3:

http://cisteagusmilseain.blogspot.com/2009/04/easter-cake.html

PennyLane June 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Oh I love that cake!! It's so pretty!
Our teacher will not let us use too much imagination. I'm a little bummed about that. She wants us to stick directly to the book, which is why we are doing the rainbow cake this week and clown cake next week. :(
I wish she would give us more options to use what we have learned. I guess I'm going to be making a ton of practice cakes :)

I made my first batch of icing last night. I was a mess..powdered sugar everywhere but it worked out okay! It is so amazing to use decor. So much better than canned stuff.

B June 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

I know! The canned stuff is so sticky and goopy. This ices the cake so nicely. Our instructor gave us her buttercream icing recipe to use for our final cake this week. I can't wait to make it. She was really great about letting us do what we wanted. I did a shamrock cake for my first cake, instead of the rainbow... come to think of it, no one did the rainbow cake.

PennyLane June 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

Have you heard of royal icing? She only gave us the one recipe so far but I saw in another Wiltons book a recipe for Royal Icing.
I don't like the rainbow cake either. I would rather use more of my artistic/imagination abilities.

:)

When do you start course 3?

B June 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

We're using royal icing right now, in Course 2. It's a bit tempermental but great for making flowers. All the flowers I've made this course are royal icing. We use color flow icing as well.

My next course is Fondant and Gumpaste, which starts next Saturday and then I start Course 3 on 25. July. My instructor said to take them in that order because you need the tools from the Fondant and Gumpaste class for Course 3.

PennyLane June 11, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

I can't wait to see your cakes for course 3 and 4! Especially a wedding cake. I know they are going to look amazing! You have to take pics! I'm excited :)

B June 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

I'm really excited too! I love these classes!

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™