"I Don't Want to Go Among Mad People"

Finished part one of Alices Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I read this in high school for fun but wanted to revisit it since it is a big favourite of mine. It's funny when going back how much you miss in the first read through. I see so much of myself in Alice. A child trying to find herself, forced to grow up in a world of mad but not really wanting to grow up just wanting to make sense of it all.


I am a collector of quotes and song lyrics and here are a few that have always stuck with me:


"There ought to be a book written about me..And when I grow up, I'll write one-but I'm grown up now, Alice said sadly 'At least there's no room to grow up any more here."
"Who are you? said the Caterpillar.
'..I hardly know, Sir, just at present-at least I know who I was when I got up this morning but I think I must have changed several times since then.'
'What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar, sternly. 'Explain yourself!'
'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir because I'm not myself, you see' "


"Chesire Puss, Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to'. said the Cat.
'I don't much care where_' said Alice
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go'
'_so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation.
'Oh, you're sure to do that if you only walk long enough', said the Cat."


"Visit either you like : they're both mad.'
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad...you must be or you wouldn't have come here."

2 comments:

B May 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

This is one of my favorites too! I have a special edition of it! eeeee!

PennyLane May 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

:)
What are you gonna read now?

 
Blog Content © 2009-2010 by Penny Martin. All rights reserved. | Design © 2010 by M.C. "Rabbit" Chadwick and RabbityThings.Com™